[GRASS5] NVIZ and GLX: hardware openGL

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Fri Apr 27 04:56:14 EDT 2001

On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 04:57:45PM -0500, Helena wrote:
> Markus did you get your problem with the NVIDIA card resolved?
> I am getting a new machine and I am considering Elsa Gloria III (NVIDIA
> Quadro2 Pro) so I am wondering how it will run with MESA.
> Anybody has any experience with this card?
>
> thanks,
>
> Helena

Helena,

yes and no: Some time it was working, then I obviously over-configured the
Xfree4.0.2, now the openGL/glx stuff is causing problems. So I am back to
slow NVIZ :-( as I don't have the time for further experiments.
I'll give it another try later.

Take care that the Xfree server likes your NVIDIA card. Probably check here:
 http://www.xfree.org/#news
 http://www.suse.com/us/support/hardware/index.html

Regards

 Markus

> Markus Neteler wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > just received a new NVIDIA Geforce compliant video card.
> > I had to upgrade the Xserver and activated hardware-openGL
> > on my linux box.
> >
> > NVIZ get's *extremely* fast!
> >
> > However, the window is partly disturbed, a sort of backing store
> > problem. But all the Mesa examples have the same problem.
> > Is there someone with experience here? Maybe off-list as
> > it seems to be a non-GRASS problem.
> >
> > I am using Xfree4.0.2, Mesa (without mesasoft and glx) on
> > Linux. If this is running, openGL will get exciting!
> >
> >  Markus

Markus Neteler *  University of Hannover
Institute of Physical Geography and Landscape Ecology
Schneiderberg 50 * D-30167 Hannover * Germany
Tel: ++49-(0)511-762-4494  Fax: -3984