[GRASS5] Re: [OSRS-PROJ] PROJ 4.4.3 Released

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Fri Apr 20 12:04:46 EDT 2001

On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 11:13:39AM -0400, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Markus Neteler wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 10:38:26AM -0400, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> > > Folks,
> > >
> > > I have prepared a PROJ.4.4.3 source release.  This release includes:
> > [nice news removed]
> >
> > Congratulations, Frank! The next step for us (GRASS Development Team)
> > will be to syncronize GRASS/PROJ and PROJ4 to make it a plugin...
> >
> > Thank you for all your work,
>
> Markus,
>
> I would be willing to play a major role in this, presumably within GRASS 5.1.
> In addition to using PROJ.4 as a shared library, rather than including a
> copy within the GRASS source tree, I would also like to iron out a few
> quirks about the PROJ-like definition of projections in GRASS to bring it more
> into line with the core PROJ schemes (partly modelled on how things are done
> in GRASS).
>
> I would also like to review how datums are handled now in GRASS to see if
> the PROJ mechanisms can be used more directly.

Frank,

you are welcome!! The change might be pretty simple: The GRASS/PROJ wrapper
routines are in

grass/src/libes/proj/
 Gmakefile
 do_proj.c
 get_proj.c

All the other files are (old) PROJ4.2.x files as far as I can see. So a
simple change to Gmakefile and libproj4 stored in $GISBASE/lib should
do along with changed Gmakefiles of s./m./r./v.proj.

The datum support is definitly for 5.1 and hopefully possible to integrate
into the wrapper functions (if we want to keep them).

Regards

 Markus