[GRASS5] testing GRASS5.0.0pre1

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Fri Apr 20 11:42:28 EDT 2001

On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 10:07:51AM -0400, mberglund wrote:
[...]
> But in the patch I had a 830KB cat file! The color file was also large.
Mhhh, the color/cat patch seems to be poor in r.patch (therefore we
have i.image.mosaik as a workaround). It should become better once...

> > Perhaps above test should be extended with some r.colors stuff to assign
> > more colors (to get a larger color table). Note: It is well known that
> > GRASS becomes *very* slow with more than 8000 entries in color table.
>
> Is grass also slow to create the colors? And does it stand to reason that
> a larger number of categories implys a larger color palete.
I guess it is a color sort problem or so.

Have a look here on former threads:
http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/cgi-bin/minorweb.pl?A=READ&L=grass5/2001/3/8/24
http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/cgi-bin/minorweb.pl?A=READ&L=grass5/2001/3/9/4

If you look at r.in.tiff you will see some logic to reduce colors.