[GRASS5] Re: 6.x architecture

John Preston jpreston at uwimona.edu.jm
Tue Apr 17 11:48:48 EDT 2001

Hi fellow grassers,
I'm new to this list but I have been using GRASS since 1992. I am writing at
this time as I see that a change in direction seems to be taking place in GRASS

as we move towards 6.x.

I have been working on a client/server, XML configurable GIS system using
GRASS as the backend server with a Java/Swing client as the frontend, and
Java servlets as the glue. The design architecture of GRASS has made it very
easy
to use GRASS in this way and I have already done a proof-of-concept phase-I
system http://196.3.4.220:8000/jdb/icens.sivs?class=gis, username=guest,
password=icens.

The full fledged system which I hope to start soon will allow  GRASS to
be configured as a sort of application server, providing GIS applications
to a generally non-computer centric audience.

I am writing to ask that consideration be given to maintaining the capability
of display generation to other than video moinitors as this feature is very
important to me. The possibility of on-the-fly generation and streaming of
video is something that I would like to develop in the new system. I understand

the needs for 3D generation, etc, but I feel that in moving forward one
should always choose the most fexible path as this is what has worked
well for GRASS in the past.

I would welcome feedback on what I'm trying to do and how I plan
to go about it.

John Preston
jpreston at uwimona.edu.jm