[GRASS5] Again Solaris/tar/Makefile problem

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Fri Apr 13 06:29:58 EDT 2001

Hi Markus, Hi all,

the Solaris tar is flawed in some ways. Although it is not a general
solution i use the GNU tar command on Solaris x86. I remember that with
Solaris 7 one had to install GNU tar to use the GNU tools. Note that the
GNU tar program has to be first in the path or the Solaris tar is used
instead.

HTH,

Andreas

Markus Neteler wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> find attached a report on tar/Makefile/Solaris. This was
> reported before, I feel, we have ignored it.
>
> Does anyone have a safe solution?
>
> Thanks,
>
>  Markus

> Subject: Latest Grass CVS
> Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 12:08:52 -0700
> From: "Wallace, Beverly T" <beverly.t.wallace at lmco.com>
> To: "'Neteler, Markus'" <neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de>
> CC: "Pelizzari, Michael" <michael.pelizzari at lmco.com>
>
> Markus,
>
> I downloaded the latest Grass from CVS.  It has been months since I last
> updated.  I had a problem with "make install" on a sun workstation
> (sparc-sun-solaris2.6).  The tar commands had the following type of error:
>         tar:  bin/:  No such file or directory
> I fixed this by editing Makefile to change "bin/" to either "bin" or
> "./bin".  The problem was with the trailing slash.  I did this for all the
> tar commands (bwidget, documents, etc) in Makefile.  I hope this change
> works for your machines as well.
>
> This new version of Grass is very nice.  I like the friendly location and
> mapset selection method.
>
> Thanks, Bev Wallace

Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de - A.C.Lange at GMX.net