[GRASS5] 5.0.0 branch started...

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Wed Apr 11 12:25:13 EDT 2001

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 05:35:28PM +0200, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 04:57:06PM +0100, Markus Neteler wrote:
> > - please don't submit to the exp/head
>
> You mean: Do not submit bug-fixes to the exp/head, right?

Yes, submit to the branch instead. Later we merge them back.
Focus is on this releasebranch only at time (otherwise we
never finish that stable release).

Or, dear CVS professionals: Shall bugfixes immediately merged back?

> >  - heavy testing of the branch is needed (all platforms)
> >  - eventual bugs are to be fixed
> >  - publish it asap!
>
> As a beta or prerelease?

Prerelease. pre-stable to a limited audience (our testers)

> >  - merge the fixes back into exp/head tree, close the branch
>
> We should not really close the branch.

Maybe. We can discuss this later in detail.

> > Timeline: One (or two) weeks for the stable release?
>
> You need a date for the beta release, one week from here.

You are right, I was not very clear. My suggestion:

 18th April: publish the branch as "pre1-stable"

> Then we need another date for the actual 5.0.0 release.
> Another four weeks.

 That would be:
 9th May for definite stable publish date.

> Please include: Everybody who does not find bugs in the beta
> cannot complain about them being in 5.0.0..

 Mhh, finding doesn't mean having them fixed. Perhaps we'll have to
 live with a few bugs, otherwise we never reach something called
 "stable".

 Let's see.

 Happy testing,

 Markus

PS: I have fixed a compile bug in src/mapdev/v.in.atlas/isle.c
    and applied to the branch. Seems to become the first branch/exp
    lesson. Shall I fix in exp as well?