[GRASS5] XDRIVER

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Tue Apr 10 03:47:53 EDT 2001

Markus Neteler wrote:

> > I'd like to suggest integrating the new XDRIVER code into the source
> > tree.
> >
> > The current mechanism of having "configure" modify several files
> > (which are under CVS control) suffers from a couple of problems:
> >
> > 1. Running "cvs diff" includes the differences between the *.new
> > versions of the files and the CVS versions. This is a bit of a
> > nuisance if you're doing general tidying (minor changes to many
> > scattered files), where it's simpler to diff the whole tree than to
> > figure out exactly which files need to be diff'd.
> >
> > 2. Anyone running "cvs commit" without thinking will overwrite the CVS
> > versions (fifo?) with whichever version is in their build tree at the
> > time (probably sockets).
> >
> > If I hadn't encountered (1) first, I probably would have encountered
> > (2) instead.
>
> Hi all,
>
> I agree with Glynn. Perhaps we only keep the fifo version in a
> subdirectory along with the established mechanism to activate it
> (Bernhard wants to keep fifos for old platforms) and put the
> sockets version into the default place. I guess that 99% of users
> want sockets.

I wasn't necessarily suggesting removing/disabling anything. Rather,
merging the alternate versions of each file into a single file, with
feature-test macros selecting which version was actually used.

OTOH, if only a small fraction of users will want something other than
sockets, it may not be worth the effort.