[GRASS5] dxf imports

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Tue Dec 18 20:44:33 EST 2001

Roger S. Miller wrote:

> > > The display architecture has support for text rotation, but it has
> > > been disabled in a number of places. Also, the functionality isn't
> > > exposed by any user program (e.g. d.text).
> > >
> > > If it would be useful, I can look into re-enabling the rotation
> > > support, and exposing it, either with an option to d.text, or a
> > > separate d.text.rotation program (the rotation persists between
> > > clients).
>
> To which Markus replied...
>
> > When enabled, it may become possible to print text labels along
> > vector lines (useful for contours on d.vect.labels). However,
> > that may be a non-trivial task.
>
> I don't know that setting one rotation for all text in a display (as
> Glynn seems to be describing) is generally useful.  The text entity in
> dxf files specifies a rotation (0 by default) for each instance.

Well, R_text_rotation() would (if it were fully implemented) affect
subsequent drawing commands. A DXF importer would presumably set the
rotation for each text entity.

I'll re-enable the text rotation code. Even if it doesn't work
correctly in the general case, it won't affect anything for the case
where the rotation is zero (the method of disabling was to replace the
return values from sin() and cos() with 0 and 1 respectively).