[GRASS5] r.in.gdal tiff and adf

Eric G. Miller egm2 at jps.net
Wed Dec 19 21:10:35 EST 2001

On Wed, 19 Dec 2001 13:08:17 -0500, Helena Mitasova <hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu> wrote:

> I have finally downloaded gdal and I am trying to run some tests.
> So far I had the following problems:
>
> 1. I tried to import Arcinfo grid binary, but it is not recognized
> (it is listed as supported with the suffix aig - do I understand it
> correctly?):
>
> ERROR 4: `w001001.adf' not recognised as a supported file format.
>
> the coverage has these files:
> dblbnd.adf  hdr.adf  log  prj.adf  sta.adf  vat.adf  w001001.adf
> w001001x.adf

Haven't tried binary grid support ... ?  I usually use GRIDASCII and
r.in.arc...

> 2. I have tiff images which can be imported with r.in.tiff but gdal does
> not like them.
> These files were created from sid probably on Mac - is there anything
> that one should do when converting to tiff to make sure it can be
> imported
> by r.in.gdal?
>
> GRASS:/data/indata/LakeWheeler/Gis/data/color_ir > r.in.gdal
> c0792_004.TIF out=test
> ERROR 1: c0792_004.TIF:0: Bad value for "SamplesPerPixel

Hmm, I'm surprised gdal would barf where r.in.tiff would do okay (the
opposite is usually true).  I dunno for sure, but is your gdal using
a static tiff library?  Otherwise, both should be using the same
libtiff ...?  Boggle?  Do you have tiffinfo installed? Or gdalinfo ?
If so, what is "their" opinion of these files?

> any feedback will be appreciated,

Frank is obviously the best person to ask regarding GDAL...

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>