[GRASS5] [bug #882] (grass) Configure errors

Bob Covill bcovill at tekmap.ns.ca
Thu Dec 20 09:28:35 EST 2001

Andreas Lange wrote:

> Hi Andrea,
>
> Request Tracker wrote:
> >
> > ./configure reports the following error:
> >
> > checking whether to use Tcl/Tk... yes
> > checking for location of Tcl/Tk includes...
> > checking for tcl.h... yes
> > checking for tk.h... no
> > configure: error: *** Unable to locate Tk includes.
> >
> > but tk is installed and tk.h is in /usr/include!!!
> > If I force header location:
>
> Usually tcl/tk is found. But perhaps there was some incompatible change
> from 8.3.1 (which is running here) to 8.3.3? Or tk.h is only a
> place-holder? No idea here.
>

> > ./configure --with-tcltk-includes=/usr/include
> >
> > checking whether to use Tcl/Tk... yes
> > checking for location of Tcl/Tk includes... /usr/include
> > checking for tcl.h... yes
> > checking for tk.h... no
> > configure: error: *** Unable to locate Tk includes.
> >
> > rpm -qi tk reports that Tk 3.3.3 is installed.
> >
> > Then I've done ./configure --without-tcltk and it doesn't find
> > the postgresql includes (they are in /usr/include/pgsql, I have
> > to force that location). I have Mesa 3.4.2 installed but configure
> > says:
>
> yes, the postgresql includes are in different dirs on different
> platforms/distros.
>

> > checking whether to use OpenGL... yes
> > checking for location of OpenGL includes...
> > checking for GL/gl.h... yes
> > checking for GL/glu.h... yes
> > checking for location of OpenGL library...
> > checking for glBegin in -lGL... no
> > checking for glBegin in -lGL... no
> > configure: error: *** Unable to locate OpenGL library.
> >
> > ... REQUIREMENTS says that Mesa 3.x is needed, but this one is
> > not recognized.
> > Umpf, in the end configure does its work with the following parameters:
>
> What _exactly_ do you have installed?
> I have installed Mesa-devel-3.3-5 and Mesa-3.3-5 rpms (Red Hat 7.0 based
> system).
>

> > ./configure --without-tcltk --with-postgres-includes=/usr/include/pgsql --without-opengl --without-odbc --without-fftw
> >
> > (odbc and fftw in fact are not installed, but do you expect that they
> > are installed on the average machine? The should be disabled IHMO)
> >
> fftw is needed for several modules. It is a clean build (./configure;
> make; make install) on all systems i encountered so far. Maybe there is
> a rpm file too.
>
> HTH,
>
> Andreas
> --
> Andreas Lange, 65187 Wiesbaden, Germany, Tel. +49 611 807850
> url: http://mitglied.tripod.de/AndreasLange
> mail: Andreas.Lange_at_Rhein-Main.de - A.C.Lange_at_GMX.net

Hello,

I don't know if it is related or not. On my latest build (Solaris 7) I
ran into some configure problems. The TCL / TK options would not build
even though they are installed. When I examined the config.log I found
compile errors related to the linker. I then manually editted configure
and added the -lsocket -lnsl -ldl flags to the TCL and TK lines of
configure. This allowed the test program to build and recognize that TCL
/ TK was installed on my system.

I also ran into the same problem of having to run configure with a whole
lot of things disabled. To build it on my (dated?)  Solaris system I had
to use the following....

./configure -with-postgress=no -with-gd=no -with-odbc=no -with-ddtw=no
-with-blas=no -with-lapack=no -with-freetype=no

I am used to disabling postgress for the Solaris but there seems to be
alot more options that need disabling if packages are not installed. I
am not a configure expert, but is it not possible for configure to
disable the feature if it is not found, rather than exiting with an
error?

--
Bob Covill

Tekmap Consulting