[GRASS5] Grass5 on Solaris

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Thu Feb 15 11:50:18 EST 2001

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 11:58:58AM -0400, Bob Covill wrote:

> Markus Neteler wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 11:32:06AM -0400, Bob Covill wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I am trying to build the latest GRASS on my Solaris machine. The version
> > > is up to date from the CVS yesterday (feb. 14).
> > >
> > > The problem I am having is the GIS lib is not getting built, which is of
> > > course rather important. The GIS lib is failing with file flate.c at
> > > line 120. The comments in the file indicate that this will fail if ZLIB
> > > is not installed. The libz is installed in  /usr/local/bin.
> > >
> > > Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong? It sucessfully built on Linux
> > > without problem.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Bob Covill
> > Bob,
> >
> > did you try to specify the path?
> >
> > configure --with-zlib-includes=DIR --with-zlib-libs=DIR
> >
> > This should help.
> >
> > Markus
>
> Markus,
>
> I have tried specifying the zlib and zinclude paths with configure with the same
> result. Configure has no trouble with zlib. The error generated is " 'NULL'
> undeclared (first use in function)". Where should it be seeing the definition of
> NULL?

Probably I know the problem! The configure should set:
HAVE_ZLIB_H

in src/include/config.h

Maybe this wasn't successful? The flate.c has a test:
#ifndef HAVE_ZLIB_H

static void
break_compile (void)
{
    /* if ZLIB is not installed, a compile error is generated here */
    NULL = 1;
}

So the compiler will break if HAVE_ZLIB_H is not set.

Check the src/include/config.h.

Regards

 Markus