[GRASS5] G_sock_*, XDRIVER, and other fun...

Eric G . Miller egm2 at jps.net
Mon Feb 12 14:59:58 EST 2001

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 11:48:41AM +0000, Markus Neteler wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> here my report on XDRIVER/sockets:
>
> o it works o.k.! And, hey, you can simply click-off the monitor...
>   This is definitly a useful improvement.
> o the monitor comes up much faster
> o the refresh problem with hidden monitor is still there (KDE2,
>   you will know it).

I'm still trying to figure out how to get the XDRIVER to handle 'Expose'
events properly.  Unfortunately, I know little about X programming, and
am unsure what the XDRIVER would use to repaint the screen (if the
server won't do it with backing-store).  Note:  I'm running KDE2.1beta
and this problem doesn't exist here (with the changes to XF86Config to
always do backing store).

> Small idea to improve:
> If you click-off a monitor and run d.rast (or whatever) later, you get:
>   d.rast tk25
>   Socket is already in use or not accepting connections.
>
> This message might be extended: "Run d.mon to start new monitor.".
> A problem is, that the message doesn't time-out. Means, you need to Ctrl-C
> it away (funny: you have to hit return, before Ctrl-C is accepted).
> Could you use G_fatal_error() for this message?

Yea, I'll try to clean up some of the reporting/d.mon stuff.  My first
goal was just to get it working ;)

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>