[GRASS5] G_sock_*, XDRIVER, and other fun...

Eric G . Miller egm2 at jps.net
Mon Feb 12 16:03:47 EST 2001

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 11:48:41AM +0000, Markus Neteler wrote:
> Small idea to improve:
> If you click-off a monitor and run d.rast (or whatever) later, you get:
>   d.rast tk25
>   Socket is already in use or not accepting connections.

Okay, I looked into this.  The problem is, most programs don't seem to
check the return value of R_open_driver().  It returns a non-zero value
if it fails.  Putting an exit() or similar into libraster would break
d.mon's ability to report the status of all the drivers.  So, all d.*
programs need to check that they actually were able to open the display
driver (rather than just assuming).

> This message might be extended: "Run d.mon to start new monitor.".
> A problem is, that the message doesn't time-out. Means, you need to Ctrl-C
> it away (funny: you have to hit return, before Ctrl-C is accepted).
> Could you use G_fatal_error() for this message?

d.rast get's hung because it tries to do drawing when there's nothing to
draw to.  This is a module problem, not a library problem.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>