[GRASS5] XDRIVER problems

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Fri Jan 26 13:23:12 EST 2001

Hi John and all Cygnus friends,

On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 10:32:41AM -0700, John Huddleston wrote:
> My fault everyone,
>
> I had put the ipc.new source code into the system.  I thought it
> had been tested in the Unix platforms.  I remember seeing an
> email from Markus stating that it was faster.

John, I wasn't expecting that you would install into the main
directory but into the ipc.new/ subdirectory unless it was
tested on *all* platforms.
Never mind...

> I'll reiterate what I asked Markus offline.  It would be nice
> to have a phone conversation with all parties involved.
> Email and the day or two delay can only go so far.
Very true! I still would be glad if the developers could meet
each other!

> Thanks Huidae for reinstating the code.  So, now to do a
> Cygwin build will I always have to manually copy the ipc.new
> code into the directory above it before a build?
No, Huidae just implemented two new parameters into "configure":

  --with-ipc              use ipc XDriver instead of fifo (for Cygwin)
  --with-fifo             use fifo XDriver instead of ipc (default)

Huidae - good idea, thanks!

So it shouldn't bother you any more and the IPC code can be
savely developed in parallel.

Markus