[GRASS5] Re: [winGRASS] cygwin and winGRASS status update

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Tue Jul 17 10:16:23 EDT 2001

Andreas Lange wrote:

> PostgreSQL: required for PostgreSQL modules, distributed with cygwin.
> compilation dies with "ARG_MAX" undeclared in main.c of d.site.pg.

Looks like a Cygwin bug (ARG_MAX is supposed to be defined by
inclusion of <limits.h>); it should be reported to the Cygwin
maintainers.

> I can confirm that winGRASS (GRASS5.0pre1, cygwin 1.3.2, cygwin/XFree86
> 4.1.0) works with the XFree Server except for the Monitor Drivers (X
> Driver, PNGDriver etc.). Tcltkgrass works with the recompiled xtcltk
> package that i provided, as far as i could test without a graphical
> monitor.
>
> Downgrading from recent StarNet XWin to version 4.1 does not help, i
> think the problem is within the sockets setup of cygwin.
>
> So the main thing is IMHO to fix the sockets problem with the graphical
> drivers. I have no clue with sockets programming, so perhaps someone can
> help here.

I've been responsible for most of the recent changes to XDRIVER.
However, I don't have a Windows box, so I can't perform tests with
Cygwin. However, if you can provide me with information as to what's
happening within the programs, I might be able to suggest changes.

For reference, the files which are most likely to be relevant are:

	src/display/devices/lib/main.c
	src/display/devices/lib/connect_sock.c
	src/libes/raster/io.c