[GRASS5] Owner of source files

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Sun Jul 29 18:24:05 EDT 2001

Rich Shepard wrote:

>   I tried working on the metadata system in (on my system)
> /opt/grass/src/scripts/contrib/metadata. When I tried to save a README file
> with my notes on what each file appeared to be doing, I couldn't save it. So
> I checked the permissions.
>
>   Turns out that this directory (at least) is owned by user "103" in group
> "vmware98"! Where did this come from?
>
>   Tracing this through:
>
> 	/opt/grass		root.root
> 	/opt/grass/src		103.vmware98
>
>   This is the CVS weekly snapshot from 17 July.

This reflects the UID/GID on the system on which the .tar.gz file was
made. I suspect that the tar file contains numeric UID/GID
information, with the numeric GID stored in the tar file being
allocated to "vmware" on your system ("tar tv ..." to check).

If you perform the extraction as a normal user rather than root (this
would require write permission on /opt, or /opt/grass if it is created
first), you will own all of the files.