[GRASS5] Owner of source files

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Jul 29 19:12:54 EDT 2001

On Sun, 29 Jul 2001, Glynn Clements wrote:

> This reflects the UID/GID on the system on which the .tar.gz file was
> made. I suspect that the tar file contains numeric UID/GID
> information, with the numeric GID stored in the tar file being
> allocated to "vmware" on your system ("tar tv ..." to check).

  I realize that the permissions come from the source machine, but I was
curious why the number. What you wrote makes sense: tar took the UID rather
than the username. However, I have no idea why the GID was picked,
apparently at random. Strange!

> If you perform the extraction as a normal user rather than root (this
> would require write permission on /opt, or /opt/grass if it is created
> first), you will own all of the files.

  /opt is owned by root; whenever I install software there the entire tree
is owned by root.users.

  Wierd stuff, that tar.

Thanks,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
 + 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
                 Making environmentally-responsible mining happen.