[GRASS5] g.region error message

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon Jul 30 19:23:05 EDT 2001

Rich Shepard wrote:

>   I've just imported several vector files using m.in.e00 (thanks, Mic=
hel!!)
> and the display shows me only a small portion of the coverage area. S=
o, I
> tried to use g.region to expand the boundary, but without success.
>=20
>   First, I selected "set from vector map" and gave it the name "roads=
".
> Nothing changed. Second, I tried creating a new region. When I entere=
d the
> name, "county", for the new region, this is what I see:
>=20
> Enter name for region to be created
> Enter 'list' for a list of existing region files
> Enter 'list -f' for a list with region values
> Hit RETURN to cancel request
> > county
> <county>
> ERROR: default region H=8D at H=8D at et

Duh. From src/libes/gis/get_window.c:

=09int G_get_default_window ( struct Cell_head *window )
=09{
=09    char *err;
=09
=09    if (err =3D G__get_window (window,"","DEFAULT_WIND","PERMANENT")=
)
=09    {
=09=09G_free (err);
=09=09G_fatal_error ("default region %s", err);
=09    }
=09    return 1;
=09}

Quick fix: remove the call to G_free() and re-compile. By itself, that
won't make g.region work, but it should give you a meaningful error
message.

BTW, there's another occurence of that bug in the same file, in
G_get_window(). I'll commit the necessary changes to CVS.

--=20