[GRASS5] Darwin Pre1 gtty stty errors

Eric G. Miller egm2 at jps.net
Thu Jun 7 22:27:53 EDT 2001

On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 05:03:42PM +0100, Glynn Clements wrote:

> Eric G. Miller wrote:
>
> > > These programs fall into five basic categories:
> > >
> > > 1. False positives (apparently). Most of the listed d.* programs seem
> > > to handle the --interface-description flag fine.
>
> [snip]
>
> > NOTE: Each one of these produces a Segmentation fault after outputting
> > the description on the command line.
>
> Not here, they don't.

Do you have a graphics device running?  Most of the ones I've looked at
have a call to R_open_driver(), or don't call G_gisinit() before
defining module options (bad).

> > > Most of category 4 is going to have to stay as-is for 5.0.0, although
> > > some of them might be amenable to "rehabilitation" as command-line
> > > programs without too much work.
> >
> > I guess a program that would use this mechanism could blacklist
> > "category 4" programs...
>
> It might be nice if --interface-description still worked, e.g.
> outputting a description which stated that the program was
> interactive-only.

Depending on the module, this shouldn't be too hard.  But, the module
must have a version in grass5/etc/bin/cmd/ otherwise the front end
intercepts the command line call with parameters (all that gmakelink5
line noise stuff).  There's nothing in the grass-interface.dtd to flag
an interactive or console-interactive module.  Perhaps such an addition
would be useful?  I just did such a thing with d.display, but I won't
commit it for the time being since the XML output isn't very useful (the
description from the "man" page).

> There's also the question of whether any of these programs provide
> useful functionality which isn't available in any existing
> command-line program.

Somebody must've thought so at one time ;)

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>