[GRASS5] nviz crashing in pre1

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Tue Jun 12 13:22:37 EDT 2001

Thanks for your quick response, Bob.

On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 01:31:06PM -0300, Bob Covill wrote:
> Markus Neteler wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 02:53:22PM -0400, Helena Mitasova wrote:
> > > Has anybody tested nviz in 5.0pre1? It has a strange behavior - if I
> > > start it with -x flag it runs fine. If I start it with -q or a given
> > > elevation file it crashes everything and logs me out. However, -q and
> > > elevation
> > > runs OK if nviz was run with -x flag first. So it seems that -x option
> > > sets something which is missing
> > > in the other options. Or am I missing something here? I am running it
> > > with RedHat 7.1
> > > I am not sure whether this is a bug or I don't have something set up
> > > properly.
> >
> > Helena,
> >
> > here it crashes, too. AARGH!! Recently it was o.k.
> >
> > - If I start without maps, it opens.
> > - If I start with a raster map, it crashes (seg.fault).
> > - If I start with a raster map and "-q" it opens but doesn't display
> >   anything
> > - If I start with a raster map and "-x" it opens and works.
> >
> > Bob, do you have any ideas?
> >
> > Markus
>
> Markus,
>
> I am hoping to install RedHat 7.1 later this week, so I should be able
> to test NVIZ then.
>
> As far as the above flags..., the "-q" option is the quickstart option,
> which ignores any supplied parameters and simply starts. The "-x"  is
> essentially the same (?) as the quickstart option except the "Please
> Wait" window does not come up. As far as I can tell that is the only
> diffeence between "-q" and "-x".
>
> A good test would be to try loading a raster from nviz after starting
> with "-q" or "-x". Presumably it would still crash??

anything. However, it says:
"shine set to: 76.000000
Color Material: 4609
"

> A copy of the standard output from the crash might help.
Here is (from global dataset):

nviz nations
[...]
scripting menu 4 made
scripting menu 5 made
scripting menu 6 made
scripting menu 7 made
scripting menu made
Error in startup script: integer value too large to represent
    while executing
"expr int($curr * 1)"
    (procedure "Nv_mkFloatScale" line 16)
    invoked from within
"Nv_mkFloatScale $W.zexag v zexag $exag $min $val update_exag 2"
    (procedure "mk_exag_slider" line 13)
    invoked from within
"mk_exag_slider $BASE.midf"
    (procedure "mkmainPanel" line 41)
    invoked from within
"mk$name\Panel $path"
    (procedure "Nv_force_panel" line 10)
    invoked from within
"Nv_force_panel main"
    (procedure "Nv_makeGUI" line 120)
    invoked from within
"Nv_makeGUI .top"
    (file
"/home/neteler/ggg/dist.i686-pc-linux-gnu/etc/nviz2.2/scripts/nviz2.2_script"
line 637)
child process exited abnormally
    while executing
"exec /home/neteler/ggg/dist.i686-pc-linux-gnu/etc/nviz2.2/NVWISH2.2 -f
/home/neteler/ggg/dist.i686-pc-linux-gnu/etc/nviz2.2/scripts/nviz2.2_script
nat..."
    ("eval" body line 1)
    invoked from within
"eval exec $env(GISBASE)/etc/nviz2.2/NVWISH2.2 -f
$env(GISBASE)/etc/nviz2.2/scripts/nviz2.2_script $argv -name NVIZ >&@stdout"
    invoked from within
"if {$argv == ""} {
#no arguments
eval exec $env(GISBASE)/etc/nviz2.2/NVWISH2.2 -f
$env(GISBASE)/etc/nviz2.2/scripts/nviz2.2_script -name NVIZ >&@stdo..."
    (file "/home/neteler/ggg/dist.i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/nviz" line 13)

Aha "funny":
- it crashes if the map region contains only NULL data values (should
  gracefully exit here). Above happened when I was (accidentally) working
  in a NULL data area in "nations" map.

Maybe that's another bug. Helena, are you sure that your map contains data
when crashing with NVIZ?

Markus