[GRASS5] X monitor resize problem...

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed Jun 13 08:09:20 EDT 2001

Eric G. Miller wrote:

> I think this may be a bug in the blackbox window manager, but with the
> X driver code in release_april11... I'm unable to change the size of a
> monitor ever.  Seems blackbox makes the decision the window is not
> resizeable, doesn't give it "resize" handles or respond to
> Alt-Right_Button (which will also resize typical windows).  I ran the
> monitor in WindowMaker without such troubles, so I guess it's a bug in
> blackbox.  Maybe I could get help formulating a bug report for blackbox?
> I don't know exactly what it is/is not responding to...  I rather like
> blackbox for its nice looks with light weight, so I'd like to be able to
> point the author(s) in the right direction...

The current behaviour of XDRIVER is this:

1. The initial state of WM_NORMAL_HINTS has flags USSize|USPosition.

2. When a client connects, unless a redraw is in progress, the flags
are set to PSize|PMinSize|PMaxSize, with all three sizes equal to the
window's current size (as returned by XGetWindowAttributes()).

3. When a client disconnects, the flags are set to PSize.

Note that state 1 is transient; the initial mon.select will change the
state to 3.

XDRIVER doesn't specify a _MWM_HINTS property, but then neither do any
of the other applications which I checked.

BTW, I'm open to comments as to whether the existing behaviour is
correct. It's arguable that it shouldn't be using the US* flags unless
the XDRIVER_* environments variables are set. Also, whether to specify
the position when XDRIVER_{LEFT,TOP} are unset is a matter of
preference. Personally I'd rather let the WM place it, but this won't
happen if the program always requests a specific location.