[GRASS5] [bug #752] (grass) configure: doesn't add -lGL -lGLw -lGLUT entries in head file (Solaris)

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed Jun 13 16:57:22 EDT 2001

Markus Neteler wrote:

> > > the "configure" doesn't add -lGL -lGLw -lGLUT in head file on Solaris/SUN
> > > while this is working on Linux. Similar was reported for MaxOSX recently.
> > >
> > > After adding above entries into head file, everything compiles fine.
> > > The libraries are detected:
> > >
> > > [...]
> > > checking GL/gl.h and GL/GLwMDrawA.h...  -I/usr/include -I/usr/local/include and  -I/usr/include
> > > checking for glBegin in -lGL... (cached) no
> > > checking for gluBeginCurve in -lGLU... (cached) no
> > > checking for GLwDrawingAreaMakeCurrent in -lGLw... (cached) no
> > > checking for GLwCreateMDrawingArea in -lGLwM... (cached) no
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > I have no idea how to fix this (as it works for Linux). Probably
> > > some wrong variable quoting?
> >
> > What does config.log say?
> >
> > After the line:
> >
> > configure:4226: checking for glBegin in -lGL
> >
> > there should be the compilation command, along with any error messages
> > and the source of the test program. The error message(s) should
> > provide some clues as to why it failed.

Of course, this was based upon the (mistaken) assumption that
configure actually performs the test ...

> It seems there is nothing:
>
> configure:4044: checking libpq paths
> configure:4059: checking for PQcmdTuples in -lpq
> configure:4183: checking GL/gl.h and GL/GLwMDrawA.h
> configure:4226: checking for glBegin in -lGL
> configure:4270: checking for gluBeginCurve in -lGLU
> configure:4314: checking for GLwDrawingAreaMakeCurrent in -lGLw
> configure:4354: checking for GLwCreateMDrawingArea in -lGLwM
> configure:4460: checking for sql.h
> configure:4496: checking for location of odbc lib
> configure:4594: checking for jpeglib.h
>
> (above of that the curses compile thing is present in config.log).
>
> Strange...

Not really; this is a consequence of configure's caching mechanism.

Do "rm config.cache", then re-run configure, then check again.

Better still, add the lines

     define([AC_CACHE_LOAD], )dnl
     define([AC_CACHE_SAVE], )dnl

to the beginning of configure.in (before the AC_INIT), run autoconf,
then commit both configure.in and configure to CVS.

This will completely disable autoconf's caching mechanism (which
basically causes humans to waste countless hours tracking down
problems in order to allow CPUs to spend more time idle; whoever
thought that this was a good idea deserves shooting; actually,
shooting is too good for them).