[GRASS5] broken links in documentation and s.vol.rst

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Wed Jun 20 16:20:10 EDT 2001

Helena,

On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 12:37:29PM -0400, Helena Mitasova wrote:

> Markus,
>
> maybe you can replace the outdated command list reference on grass
> manual page with Eric's list - it is really useful both for new and
> old users.
>
> http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/gdp/html_grass5/grass_commandlist.html

o.k, done. I have been using Eric's version as I don't get g.xml2html
compiled at time. Perhaps Eric can update again the
html/grass_commandlist.html

as I have added the missing descriptions? The web site will get updated
by cron_job.

> And here are the broken links
>
> http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/grass5/related/README.mesa3d
> (this link is called from
> http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/grass5/binary/linux/REQUIREMENTS.html

fixed.

> several links:
> http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/gdp/html_grass5/programming/time/index.html
> http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/gdp/html_grass5/programming/sites-api/index.html
> http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/gdp/html_grass5/programming/raster/fpnv.html
> http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/gdp/html_grass5/programming/g3d/index.html
>
> called from
> http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/grass5/index.html

all removed as these html pages are pretty outdated (use book instead).

> Also please update:
> http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/grid3d/index.html
> it has a link to s.vol.rst binaries and says that sources won't be
> distributed.

Changed.

> As for s.vol.rst - it may actually be useful to include it into GRASS5 -
> it can be run without the grid3 if it is run with the option of bivariate
> interpolation with additional variable (for example precipitation with
> influence of terrain). We just got a paper accepted about it to TGIS and
> we say that it is available in GRASS5, so it would be nice to have it
> there. It works very well and there aren't many programs around that can
> do that. However, there is a problem with compilation without the g3d
> library so I would have to take out all the volume stuff and we may end up
> again with 2 versions of similar program. So I don't know, let me know
> what do you think.

Well, at time I have
 - retagged src/libes/g3d to the release_branch (although I dislike this due
   to the bugs)
 - added s.vol.rst at
   src.contrib/GMSL/g3d/src3d/sites/s.vol.rst

So s.vol.rst can be compiled successfully. As the other g3d modules are
not present, the g3d lib shouldn't cause too much headaches at time.

> Figure 4b and a related animation in the document
>
> http://www2.gis.uiuc.edu:2280/modviz/viz/sinter.html
> and
> http://www2.gis.uiuc.edu:2280/modviz/viz/tropy.html
>
> illustrates what the program does The input is 2D raster of elevation and
> site precipitation and output is precipitation raster map. It can be used
> also for other phenomena.

... they look nice!

Thanks for contributing s.vol.rst!

Markus

> Markus Neteler wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 04:15:50AM +0100, Glynn Clements wrote:
> > [...]
> > > Anyway, all of this is moot unless g3d finds its way back into the
> > > source tree.
> > >
> > > So, should I get rid of the GLw checks altogether? Or is g3d's absence
> > > likely to be only temporary?
> >
> > Glynn,
> >
> > this g3d absence *is* only temporary unless the bugs are fixed. Jaro
> > Hofierka offered to look into them, probably he will find the time.
> > Or, Helena, could you provide some help?
> >
> > Basic bug is the 3D coordinates system confusion: The 3D coordinates system
> > should be similar to GRASS 2D, just with a 3rd dimension. At time some
> > modules read bottom-up, other top-down etc. Maybe much of the problems
> > can be cleaned out without too much work, only someone has to fully
> > understand the g3d concept.
> >
> > Markus

Markus Neteler *  University of Hannover
Institute of Physical Geography and Landscape Ecology
Schneiderberg 50 * D-30167 Hannover * Germany
Tel: ++49-(0)511-762-4494  Fax: -3984