[GRASS5] why GPL

Glynn Clements glynn at sensei.co.uk
Tue Mar 27 14:14:45 EST 2001

Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:

> > I hardly use any GNU-ware myself. The only one I use is probably gcc.
>
> Funny to see that gcc is GPLed :-)

Even funnier given that he's arguing for Objective-C.

IIRC, gcc-objc was developed by NeXT, who then tried to keep the
resulting product to themselves; they backed down following the threat
of legal action (or even commencement of such; I'm not entirely sure)
from the FSF.

The fact that gcc-objc is now publically available is largely a result
of the GPL.

--
Glynn Clements <glynn at sensei.co.uk>