[GRASS5] why GPL

B. Byars Bruce_Byars at baylor.edu
Tue Mar 27 09:27:06 EST 2001

> > What about X11 and BSD?
>
> Both are licensed weak (X11: MIT License, BSD: BSD License).
> Around X11 several prorietary/non-free software projects have
> been developed. While you may say this is a good thing, I say that
> several interesting improvements to X11 got separated from each other.

Exactly, which is why Sun/SGI/etc have commercialized their OS's
using BSD as that base.  The only mention in the literature is so people
will know the source.  There is no reciprocity.

GRASS is protected under GPL by our legal team who know the
intricacies of that license.  Any changes to the GRASS license will need
to go through them (the counsel).  I will supply you with their email
addresses if you like.  They have successfully used GPL to protect us
in the past and will in the future.  If you don't like that, you don't have
to use GRASS or contribute.  But as a relative newcomer to the lists,
by continually stirring the pot arguing with the developers you are
certainly not starting off on a good note.

I have to agree with the current developers... stop beating a dead horse.
As I have said numerous times, feel free to call me if you would like to
discuss...254-710-6814.

Bruce