[GRASS5] why GPL

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Mar 27 06:59:37 EST 2001

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 02:40:01AM -0800, strobe anarkhos wrote:

> >I think myself and most others understand your argument for the LGPL
> >quite well.  Many of us simply disagree that it is a good idea for
> >GRASS in general.
>
> I think you are the only one who understands my argument.
> Everybody else is rambling on about 'protection' and not
> 'reciprocity'.

Well I get your argument, but you fail to see that there is a higher
protection to the GPL.

> I didn't know this was going to drag on and on and on with red
> herrings and RMS quotes and lectures on free speech etc.

You attacked the choice of license for GRASS without arguments
which were new to us.

> However I should have expected it given my experience with other
> FSF projects in the past.

GRASS is no official FSF project (currently).
Many projects use the GNU GPL without being projects of the FSF.

> All I know is the GPL uses extremely
> strict/vague/general language about what derivative works are.

Blame US law for it. As I explained in the other mail the
difficulties arise from there.

> I don't think I have a choice, people are still talking about
> protection and other non-issues. I guess the topic will just have
> to die at the preamble which nobody can seem to get past.

You have not considered my example on how allowed linking in all cases
can hurt a software and make the user community dependant on
proprietory software.

You also ignored that the GRASS project is different in
several ways from GNUStep and Quesa and that abuse of a liberal
license already had taken place a couple of times.

	Bernhard

The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)
FSF Europe                                            	  (fsfeurope.org)