[GRASS5] grass cvs snapshot from 26. Feb.

Justin Hickey jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
Fri Mar 9 03:25:54 EST 2001

Hi Eric

"Eric G. Miller" wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 02:26:33PM +0000, Markus Neteler wrote:
> > > I can start the PNG driver only once, after that i get an error
> > > message that the socket is already in use. Only rm
> > > $LOCATION/.tmp/'hostname'/PNG helps. Are there any problems to
> > > expect with mounting the $GISDBASE via NFS?
> > > This is my setup here.
> > Hi Eric...
>
> You are stopping the monitor before you try to restart?  As far as
> NFS goes -- UNIX sockets may be a problem.  I think it depends how
> you're using NFS (is your data local?).  I don't think UNIX sockets
> are guaranteed to work over NFS, so if your mapset is on an NFS share
> -- it could be a problem.  I have some code that will put the UNIX
> socket in $HOME/.grass/com -- but if $HOME is mounted on an NFS
> share, there still might be a problem.  Seems the only way to handle
> this would be to create the UNIX socket in the local /tmp directory.
> Since the processes would be local *and* the socket would be local,
> then there should be no problem.  I don't have an NFS setup, so I'm
> unable to test it.

This may not be an NFS problem. I tried to test Andreas's situation
(database directory mounted through NFS) and received similar errors.
Just for the heck of it, I tried running d.mon start=x0 with a local
database and received errors similar to what Andrea and Markus have
posted. To try to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong I decided to
try as clean a setup as possible. That is

create a new grass directory
create a new database directory
store a fresh version of spearfish in new database directory
get a complete checkout of grass
configure --enable-postgres=no
make
bin.ARCH/grass5

Then with the new database d.mon start=x0 gives

GRASS 5.0beta12 > d.mon start=x0
Usage: x0 [nlev]
No socket to connect to for monitor <x0>.
Problem selecting x0. Will try once more
No socket to connect to for monitor <x0>.

So, I think the socket code is broken since I could use them without
problems before. Perhaps this is the same problem for Andreas' NFS
problem? Just thought I'd let you know.

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th