[GRASS5] open GRASS in own xterm

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Mar 5 11:00:58 EST 2001

On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 04:33:10PM +0000, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 04:50:39PM +0100, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 04:24:56PM +0000, Markus Neteler wrote:

> > > as new users tend to start "grass5" with a double click in
> > > a file explorer (especially the (former) Windows users) it
> > > might be a good idea to start GRASS in an own "xterm" *if*
> > > the DISPLAY variable is set (= Xwin running). This click-idea
> > > of course doesn't currently work.

> > this is a task which the file manager has to solve.
> > You can set the right options there.
> > GRASS cannot do much about.
> > (And it should not try.)

> What about users starting GRASS in
> KDE-> K->execute
> ?
> Then GRASS crashes as well.

Well, it does not crash. KDE is starting it not correctly.
Try to start gpg with KDE or any other command line tool.
You can make KDE start it with a terminal window.
We might add information for people so that KDE will recogise this
in install packages, but I strongly vote against a dirty workaround.

> As GRASS needs a shell window, why not coding that?

Because GRASS does not even know how to get a shell windows in the
environment. Standard terminals are gnome-terminal, xterm, rxvt,
kterm...

It is a problem which just has not to be solved within GRASS.
	Bernhard

The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)
FSF Europe                                            	  (fsfeurope.org)