[GRASS5] Re: Terminal Errors

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Fri May 18 05:12:38 EDT 2001

Jeshua Lacock wrote:

> Note that within the X-Windows environment if I type "xterm", it
> launches a new terminal window.  If I am in the Mac OS X "Aqua"
> environment and type "vt100", it says command not found.

Most terminal names do not correspond to a command; "xterm" is the
exception.

> It seems to me that there is a tricky yet simple reason behind this
> whole terminal problem.

Yep; MacOS X has a broken curses installation. Are there any mailing
lists, web sites etc specifically for MacOS X issues? If there are,
they would probably be of more help than this list. This problem is
unlikely to be specific to GRASS; any program which tries to use
curses should suffer from the same problems.

> Any other suggestions?  Would you like to see my "env"?  My (default)
> TERMCAP environment variable is about two hundred weird characters.

I'm not sure that would help. It's legal for $TERMCAP to be an actual
termcap entry rather than the path to the termcap file. However, in
this case, curses should be ignoring $TERM.