[GRASS5] [bug #859] (grass) raster data at lower resolution: no resampling...

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Wed Nov 28 08:59:56 EST 2001

"Eric G. Miller" wrote:

> As far as I can tell, in a nutshell:
>
> The code attempts to map the cell row/col value that is most closely
> aligned with the center of the region row/col.  It builds an explicit
> column mapping, and leaves the decision to which rows to use for
> each row fetch operation.

Markus, if I understand correctly what Eric writes here it appears
that when resampling to lower resolution, GRASS uses the value which
is in a high resolution cell located in the center (or close to the
center ) of the low resolution cell.
I think that this is the best thing it can do both for field and
category data when it
does not know what type of phenomenon the data represent.
I don't think that we have a problem here although some warning about
this behavior
would be appropriate and it definitely needs to be documented.

Helena