[GRASS5] [bug #800] (grass) downloading and installing GRASS 5 for Mac OS-X

Request Tracker grass-bugs at intevation.de
Wed Sep 12 19:53:40 EDT 2001

this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=800

Subject: downloading and installing GRASS 5 for Mac OS-X

Platform: Mac OS-X
grass downloaded at: Baylor site
grass binary for platform: Mac OS X binaries

I downloaded all the pieces of GRASS 5 for Mac OS X. I then cat'ed the
pieces into a tar.gz file as per the installation instructions. I had to find
the installation shell program from another locale (the Linux binaries ftp
site) because it was not in the Mac OS X site.

When I ran the install program according to instructions, it reported an
incorrect file size when trying to unzip the cat'ed binary file. I have tried
downloading in a couple different ways (web browser, ftp program) and
from 2 different locales on the Baylor site. I also tried to unzip the tar.gz
file using a different unzipper (i.e., stuffit). In all cases I received a
similar error message.

Are all the pieces of the binary on the Baylor site? Is it possible that one
piece is corrupted? The shell install program suggests that it is
universal. Is it OK to use the copy from the Linux site or do I need a Mac
OS X (i.e., BSD) version?

Any help would be appreciated

Michael Barton
Professor and Curator