[GRASS5] Release Management (10 days to go before Freeze)

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon Apr 15 07:56:05 EDT 2002

Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> > #873	monitor resizing does not work on SOlaris/X11R6.4
> >
> > which will probably be resolved by the removal of the resize/redraw
> > code. For more fundamental reasons than #873, which is just due to
> > some WMs not liking the the WM_NORMAL_HINTS setting.
> >
> > Basically, a command which works when run by the user from the shell
> > won't necessarily work (or produce the same result) when run by the
> > monitor. Particularly if the session handling gets changed in any way.
>
> Can be make this code conditional and add a --solaris-resize-fix
> to the configure? AFAIK this would please everybody, right?

The bug title isn't necessarily accurate. The problem is actually with
dtwm (and also, IIRC, the BlackBox WM), not Solaris.

Also, it isn't sufficiently serious, IMHO, to warrant messing up
either the XDRIVER code or the configure script with workarounds. If
the WM won't allow you to resize the monitor, you can still use
"d.resize".

Basically, the redraw code was a quick hack, which I now consider to
have been a mistake. It's a poor substitute for genuine display
management, and if it ever causes a non-trivial problem for other
programs, it will be gone.