[GRASS5] d.rast, d.what.rast multiple query

Roger Miller rgrmill at rt66.com
Mon Apr 22 19:25:38 EDT 2002

On Monday 22 April 2002 17:08, Helena wrote:

> There is one more issue related to d.rast that was discussed on the list
> and I am not sure whether and how
> it was resolved . I am not sure whether I am interpreting this correctly
> but d.rast does not erase the previously
> displayed maps so for example when you run d.what.rast it would query all
> raster files previously displayed,
> which is quite annoying if you have a lot of them. So one has to run
> d.erase first. I think that d.zoom displays all the files too.
> Is this behavior still true? (we have it in pre3)
> Is it desirable (or too difficult to change)?

Helena,

Sometimes that is a desirable behavior and sometimes it isn't.  What the
documentation says is

"if the -o flag is not set by the user, d.rast will (by default) completely
overwrite whatever appears in the active graphics display frame."

I suppose one could argue over what "completely" means, but I get the
impression that a newly displayed raster map should displace any other raster
map already in the display so that it would be no longer visible and no
longer available to queries.  The -o option overrides that behavior.

Fixing that is another matter entirely.

Roger Miller