[GRASS5] v.in.shape missing some polygons

David D Gray ddgray at armadce.demon.co.uk
Tue Feb 26 17:36:49 EST 2002

Gualter Barbas Baptista wrote:

> Is there some workaround for this (like exporting to some other format
> with Arcview) while it's not fixed?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gualter

Can you get a script to export as e00? That should have the properly
deconstructed linework, and attributes with topology already built, so
it is then, if all else is OK, a direct import into GRASS. Similarly for
DLG (there never used to be a DLG export for GRASS, but it's a while
since I looked), or maybe SDTS.

Otherwise, there are some tools, like XTools, that can export the
`centroids' as a point theme. These are a set of representative interior
points, one for each polygon, not true centroids in the geometric sense,
so can be used to carry the attributes of the associated polygons.

If you include the X and Y readings in the theme database, then that can
be converted to a text file easily and you then have the data you need.

This next bit is a bit `hacky', but I occasionally use it myself for
various reasons:

1) Use something like `awk' or `sed' to morph the lines of text in the
text file created above so each line has the following fields, in this
order with spaces separating:

A <X-coord> <Y-coord> <your chosen numeric attribute>

Note the `A' is literal and *must* be uppercase.

2) Drop this manually into the dig_att directory as a file with the name
of the target polygon coverage. This will probably replace the existing
file (which you might want to back up).

3) Rebuild the map with `v.support option=build'.

You can carry out the above three stages with a sites_list file as well,
if you import the centroids coverage with s.in.shape. But some people
have reported this gives errors as well, on some platforms.

David