[GRASS5] conversions and copyrights

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Sat Jan 12 12:20:44 EST 2002

On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 08:20:47AM -0700, Roger Miller wrote:
> The data and software are not in the public domain.
> The license agreement is at
> http://www.geod.nrcan.gc.ca/site/index_e/data_e/data_e.html
>
> Strictly from a layman's perspective, the Canadian license conditions don't
> appear to be compatible with the GPL.  It looks like we would need a separate
> license agreement in order to distribute the data or software as part of
> GRASS.

You are correct, the link you gave seems to be only for "Data".

> Can someone with more expertise than I take a look at their
> conditions?

At least not me.

> Has GRASS had to deal with similar problems before?

If the software is not Free Software compatible with the GNU GPL,
we cannot distribute it. We need to write it from stratch or find
other code. There is no other way.

As for data, this is a different thing.
It cannot be distributed with GRASS.
If the users need them, they might be able to obtain it in a
different way. It is okay to work with non-free Data.

Regards,
	Bernhard