[GRASS5] Initial window state

Roger Miller rgrmill at rt66.com
Fri Jul 19 07:29:24 EDT 2002

On Friday 19 July 2002 01:41, Radim Blazek wrote:

> What about warning:
> > d.rast map=x
>
> WARNING: Map 'x' is outside the current region, try 'g.region rast=x'

Radim,

I think that's at least a step in the right direction and probably a good
addition to d.rast, d.vect.* and d.sites.

Even though I do like this idea, I would prefer to go the next step.  By
itself this idea identifies a problem without actually solving it.  Solving
the problem for the specific case of initialization would require very little
more work.  In fact, I think that adding just the initialization check might
take less code and I'm sure it would impose less startup overhead.

I think users -- new users in particular -- would probably prefer to have
GRASS fix the problem itself rather than requiring them to perform a second
command then repeating their first command just to get an image displayed.

Roger Miller