[GRASS5] Re: GRASS tutorial

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Sun Oct 27 05:00:48 EST 2002

On Sun, 27 Oct 2002 02:19:31 +0200, Sergiusz Pawlowicz <ser at it-zone.org> wrote:
> --->[Quoting Moritz Lennert <mlennert at club.worldonline.be>:]
>
> > If no one objects, I will announce the wiki tutorial project
> > on the  users list next  week in  the hope to  motivate some
> > people to participate.
>
> No objections, but  also no support to this idea.  Do not tell
> me that technical reasons interfere  with your mind to improve
> documentation... Our expirience in Linux Documentation Project
> (we  require docbook  or  linuxdoc sgml  files)  is that  lazy
> people are not producing good documentation, how easy the tool
> they use is.
>
> Currently docbook files with  grass tutorial are rendered each
> five minutes from cvs, you can see output under:
>
> 	http://tutorial.grass.it-zone.org/

Great ! Thanks a lot.

> and everyone  with simple text  editor such a  notepad.exe ;-)
> could improve it.

The problem was with the installation of the docbook tools. Apparently
it was not easy for those without root access to deal with it.  Also
see
http://lists.it-zone.org/index.cgi?3:sss:33:200209:dbkecbpifcdhdhnedhif
for a discussion of the docbook question.  But, as you say, if
rendering is so immediate, maybe people don't need to worry about
docbook tools anymore.

> And please notice, that keeping  eg. translation up do date of
> wiki documentation is _very_ hard.

Why is it harder than docbook (unless we use gettext-like tools for
docbook) ?

> Wiki web page is only helper  to improve or get user feedback,
> not to write something.

I'm no expert, but I thought that wiki was just that, a tool for
cooperative writing ?

I'm open to discussion. I started the wiki version in order to have a
concrete comparaison and not just a theoretical discussion. So, I'm
not absoulutely fixed to that solution.

Up to now there is half of the people who seem to be confortable in
docbook and the other half who would prefer to use "simpler"
tools. The immediate rendering of the tutorial seems to take some of
the wind out of the argument against docbook. But it still
necessitates cvs write access. The wiki allows any user to add a
comment whenever they want without much hassle.

Moritz