[GRASS5] [bug #1565] (grass) man pages are ugly if terminal window is small

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Sun Feb 2 23:50:31 EST 2003

Request Tracker wrote:

> Subject: man pages are ugly if terminal window is small
>
> Platform: GNU/Linux/i386
> grass obtained from: Mirror of Trento site
> grass binary for platform: Compiled from Sources
> GRASS Version: 5.0.0
>
> The man pages are ugly if the terminal window is smaller than 87
> columns wide.

87? That suggests a problem with your "man" program, or at least with
the way in which it is being invoked. Are you running the "make"
command in a wider than normal terminal?

> It doesn't wrap cleanly; normal system man pages usually display
> "Reformatting foo(1), please wait..." and then look good in a
> smaller window. The grass pages display "Reformatting r.transect(1),
> please wait..." and then mess up the indentation/word wrap on the
> next line.
>
> g.html2man CR/LF vs <P> issue ?
>
> This is on 5.0.0, multiple linux platforms. I don't know if it is
> fixed in 5.0.1 or CVS.

GRASS installs pre-formatted man pages by default. I suggest changing
the default target in html/Gmakefile from:

	all: htmlpages g.help-manpages
to:
	all: htmlpages manpages

This should install the nroff source, which will be formatted
dynamically.