[GRASS5] [bug #1565] (grass) man pages are ugly if terminal window is small

H. Bowman ihatejunkyabastards at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 4 19:23:22 EST 2003

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 04:50:31 +0000
"Glynn Clements" <glynn.clements at virgin.net> wrote:

> Request Tracker wrote:
>
> > Subject: man pages are ugly if terminal window is small
> >
> > Platform: GNU/Linux/i386
> > grass obtained from: Mirror of Trento site
> > grass binary for platform: Compiled from Sources
> > GRASS Version: 5.0.0
> >
> > The man pages are ugly if the terminal window is smaller than 87
> > columns wide.
>
> 87? That suggests a problem with your "man" program, or at least with
> the way in which it is being invoked.

87. This happens to me on both RedHat 7.3 & Debian/Sarge, BUT...

> Are you running the "make" command in a wider than normal terminal?

Most probably yes.

I just tried it on the laptop (RH8.0), it doesn't wrap nicely either, but on that machine the magic number is <66 columns wide, which doesn't happen much.. I can guess that the terminal window was smaller on compile due to the smaller screen, but couldn't remember. I'll have a go at putting 5.0.1 on that and see what happens.

> GRASS installs pre-formatted man pages by default. I suggest changing
> the default target in html/Gmakefile from:
>
> 	all: htmlpages g.help-manpages
> to:
> 	all: htmlpages manpages
>
> This should install the nroff source, which will be formatted
> dynamically.

I'll give it a shot as well.

Hamish