[GRASS5] [bug #2036] (grass) SEC: UNCLASSIFIED RE: GRASS IRIX binary version was installed in SGI Fuel Systems but the 'ESC' and 'Enter' keys of keyboard are disfunctional. Is there any advice how to make it work.

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed Jul 23 22:09:17 EDT 2003

Request Tracker wrote:

> When GRASS5.Opre3 was run with the option '-text', the "Esc" key as
> well as some selection for "Enter" key is not accepted and the system
> hung. GRASS was installed on SGI Fuel system after downloading the
> binaries. The fuel envirnment options "env" shows LANG=C. I have
> contacted SGI to check the keyboard type and it has not been changed
> from the ONYX or Indigo keyboard. I would like to know, whether other
> Fuel users have been experiencing the same or is there any remedy for
> such a problem.

This usually indicates a bug in the system's "curses" library.

When curses receives an ESC character (code 27), it waits to see if it
is followed by other characters which constitute a recognised escape
sequence (e.g for cursor keys, function keys etc). It should only wait
for a short period; if no other codes are received within that period,
the ESC code should be reported as an individual key press.

However, some systems (and I think that includes some IRIX systems)
seem to wait forever.

One possibility: you could try explicitly enabling the timeout, by
adding the line:

	notimeout(stdscr, FALSE);

to src/libes/vask/V_init.c.