[GRASS5] i.points and i.rectify question

Thierry Laronde tlaronde at polynum.com
Sun Nov 16 09:05:36 EST 2003

Hello,

On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 12:54:15PM +0100, Michael Barton wrote:
> In versions 5.0.x and 5.3 are the 2 modules i.points and i.points3. The
> documentation for both versions of GRASS discuss the associated
> programs i.rectify and i.rectify3. However, there does not seem to be a
> module i.rectify3 anywhere. Some months back, before I realized that
> i.rectify3 was missing, I tried both i.points and i.points3 and found
> i.points3 to be a better program in several respects. However, the
> output file it creates (image xy and georeferenced coordinate pairs)
> seems to be ONLY in lat long and does not work with i.rectify. This was
> a major headache.
>
> Has anyone else run into this? Is there any way to "rectify" this
> problem? ;-)

Since I'm wandering in the historical 4.1.5 release, I gave a look at
these.

Indeed, there were (back to 4.1.5) i.rectify in src and i.rectify2 in
src.alpha. In 5.[03] there were a merge between i.rectify and i.rectify2
but it seems that there were some clash: i.rectify2 was due to be
renamed i.rectify, but remained i.rectify2 and there is another
i.rectify3 (with some fixes).

So i.rectify2 and i.rectify3 are in the sources but only a i.rectify is
present in the binaries, which seems to be i.rectify2 since i.rectify3
is not compiled by default.

For i.points, there were in src: i.points, in src.alpha: i.vpoints and
the resulting i.points3  seem to be a merge between i.points and
i.vpoints. And there is no i.points2

Yes, my head spins too...;)
--
Thierry Laronde (Alceste) <tlaronde at polynum.org>