[GRASS5] Re: missing mapinfo support

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sun Nov 23 16:26:26 EST 2003

On Saturday, November 22, 2003, at 05:55 PM, Allan Metts wrote:

> A question:  Your "Alternate 2" (converting to a shape file) seems
> much simpler than "Alternate 1" for importing lines and polygons.  Is
> there a downside to doing the shapefile conversion?

Allan,

Not really AFAICT. If you have access to ESRI products, I think this is
the best way to go currently. Remember, for GRASS 5.0.x vector files,
you can only have 1 integer (i.e., cat) and 1 other value (i.e., label:
numeric or string) associated  with each vector file. In a shapefile
import, you need to specify which fields will become cat and label. If
you need more fields, you will need more copies of the relevant vector
file.

C. Michael Barton, Professor
Department of Anthropology
PO Box 872402