[GRASS5] Towards a 5.1.0 experimental release

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon Sep 22 18:57:28 EDT 2003

Hamish wrote:

> > > [...]
> > I think that we should be more prescriptive, i.e. we should specify a
> > setting for most options. Also, we should specify either -bbo or
> > -nbbo, even if we don't intend to use -lN, so that authors know where
> > to break long boolean expressions.
> >
> > FWIW, my preference would be:
> >
> > -nbad -bap -bbb -nbbo -nbc -bl -bli0 -bls -cbi0 -ncdb -nce -ci4 -cli0
> > -ncs -d0 -di0 -fc1 -nfca -hnl -i4 -ip4 -l80 -lc80 -lp -npcs -pi4 -nprs
> > -npsl -sbi0 -sc -nsob -ss -ts8
> >
> > However, much of that is arbitrary; I'll live with whatever is
> > ultimately chosen (except -ts8; that's a technical issue rather than a
> > preference).
>
> Should the "-nut" (--no-tabs) option be used as well? Using the above
> rules the first "tab stop" is four spaces, the second is one tab, the
> third one tab + 4 spaces, the forth 2 tabs, etc. The -nut option
> replaces the tabs with 8 spaces and makes text editors with an optional
> tab size a lot happier. Downside is larger file sizes.

That will only make a difference for people who have configured their
text editor to use a tab spacing other than 8. If no-one does this, it
doesn't matter. If someone does do this, they will have to remember to
fix any tabs which they have inserted before they commit their
changes.

Furthermore, it isn't enough to do it once at the outset; for it to
have any use, all subsequent changes (even by people who use 8-column
tab stops) will have to use only spaces.

Anyone who sets their text editor to use a non-standard tab width is
bound to be used to dealing with files which don't abide by their
personal preference.