[GRASS5] bug reports for GRASS 5.7

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Apr 2 13:48:12 EST 2004

Here are a list of things I have run into with GRASS 5.7. I suspect
that many are simple to fix. I hope it's OK to do this as a longish
digest-like list rather than many individual bug reports. If the
individual reports work better, I can do that next time.

Michael Barton
______________________________
Michael Barton, Professor & Curator
Department of Anthropology
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA

voice: 480-965-6262; fax: 480-965-7671

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

GRASS ERROR REPORT - GRASS 5.7 CVS 2004-03-27
ON MAC OSX 10.2.8

d.mon select/start/stop=CELL says no such monitor, can't connect. But
d.mon -l lists CELL as an available driver

**********************************

v.reclass

Is there no access to interactive rule-based reclassification? Is using
a file the only option? The command seems to require either a rules
file or 'specifying a column'. But it is unclear what happens if you
specify a column. I did so and the module ran, saying it had created a
new reclassification, but there seems no specification for what is
reclassified. I'm not sure if this is a bug, but it is not running as I
might normally expect it to.

**********************************
r.reclass and r.recode

There is no place for inputing a rules file in the autolaunch GUI.
However, they do not start up interactive sessions. They produce errors
saying 'no rules specified'

**********************************
s.in.ascii
Actually imports ascii files to vector points (not "sites"). Also, it
ignores any values after the xy(z) dimensions. That is, no attributes
imported. This is not a bug per se, but it seems that a way to input an
ascii file with xyz dimensions, plus attributes is a good thing to
have. The name should be changed perhaps. (v.points.in.ascii?)

**********************************

g.mapsets produces the following error:

Error in startup script: child killed: bus error
     while executing
"exec g.mapsets -l"
     invoked from within
"split [exec g.mapsets -l] " \n""
     invoked from within
"lsort [split [exec g.mapsets -l] " \n"] "
     invoked from within
"set tmp_msts [ lsort [split [exec g.mapsets -l] " \n"] ]"
     (file "/Applications/Grass/grass57/etc/g.mapsets.tcl" line 46)

**********************************

NVIZ still won't start from auto-generated GUI dialog. It will start
from command line with nviz -q

**********************************
v.digit still won't accept commands for its background from the startup
GUI dialog. Here is the error.

v.digit map=national_forest bgcmd=d.rast map=public_private -n
Map does not exist.
New empty map created.
Illegal vector map name <national_forest,public_private>. Character <,>
not allowed.
ERROR: Map name not SQL compliant.

This WILL work from the command line (but not GUI dialog) if written
like this
v.digit map=national_forest bgcmd='d.rast map=public_private' -n

**********************************

d.what.vect:
Will work first time in a session. But if you end the query session and
close the output box, the next time you try it it causes an error. I
think the error below, generated from using the display manager query,
is because d.what.vect is producing no output.

child killed: write on pipe with no readers
     while executing
"exec d.what.vect map=subsector >@stdout 2>@stdout"
     ("eval" body line 1)
     invoked from within
"eval "exec $cmd >@stdout 2>@stdout""
     (procedure "Dm::execute" line 12)
     invoked from within
"Dm::execute $cmd"
     (procedure "DmVector::query" line 24)
     invoked from within
"DmVector::query $sel"
     ("vector" arm line 2)
     invoked from within
"switch $type {
         raster {
             DmRaster::query $sel
         }
         labels {
             DmLabels::query $sel
         }
         vector ..."
     (procedure "Dm::query" line 10)
     invoked from within
"Dm::query"
     ("uplevel" body line 1)
     invoked from within
"uplevel \#0 $cmd"
     (procedure "Button::_release" line 18)
     invoked from within
"Button::_release .mainframe.topf.tb0.bbox1.b4"
     (command bound to event)

v.select
The input buttons do not update to show current location and mapset. I
don't know where they get their input. They were showing a location I
was working a session or 2 ago. Also, the check boxes are confusing.
They don't indicate which vector file they are referring to.

r.proj
Needs browse buttons to find raster maps