[GRASS5] Re: Vector symbols & g.region

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Sat Dec 11 06:18:40 EST 2004

On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 12:12:41PM +0100, Florian Goessmann wrote:

> i updated d.m/vector.tcl that it can handle multiple categories. the
> problem is, that the categories are hard-coded (the icons aren't
> anymore, they are selected with a GSelect window) and i haven't figured
> out how to have them updated without having to change the source code.

Is there a possibility to access the dynamic list through TCL?
Might be the best solution.

> i hope that a can upload the changes to cvs next week that you can have
> a look at them.

Yes, should go into CVS.

> >>I have right now added a button/selector to d.vect (nice for the tcl
> >>popup).
> >
> >I have fixed it again, the basic/ was not included yet.
> >
> >To make it working, I had to comment
> >
> >  /*closedir(dir);*/
> >
> >to avoid segfault (very strange, I'm sure that I dislike strings).
>
> although d.vect works again, there is one issue left. with the current
> selector, the icons are limited to those in the basic directory. as the
> items on the list created by the new function are something like
> "basic/icon", d.vect doesn't accept for example "demo/icon" anymore as
> the "demo" directory doesn't appear anywhere on the possible list.
> thus, this version of d.vect doesn't properly work with my changes to
> vector.tcl or a cli call of d.vect as they both allow the use of other
> symbol directories than "basic".
> for now, that doesn't really matter as there is are no other symbols as
> those in basic (at least officially, who know what guys have on there
> hard drives) but once there are more symbol collections this issue has
> to be addressed.

Yes, a known problem but I don't know how to program that.
d.vect should loop over the subdirs in /etc/symbol/ and build
a complete list... C programmer welcome.
If it turns out to be impossible (due to time constraints of
other developers), I'll revert it to the manual selection next
week as it was before.

Markus