[GRASS5] How to import vector data?

Cedric Shock cedricpublic at shockfamily.net
Sun Feb 22 14:21:03 EST 2004

Hi,

I have a bunch of vector data of features like lines and areas.

The data has multiple coverages. Lets say I have roads. They would be
lines. I can write conversion to a format easily if the format is fairly
simple and will work. The data is like this:

Road:
A name, i.e. "Highway 12"
Number of lanes
Latitude, longitude, Altitude of each point in the path

Lake:
A name, i.e "Strawberry Pond"
AVerage january temperature
average february temperature ...
Latitude, longitude, Altitude of each point on the edge around the area
of the lake.

How should the data be formatted to import it into grass? Can you point
me to an example? I'm going to make a different coverage for each of
roads, lakes, streams, etc. so I'll only have one type of feature per file.

What import filter will I use?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Cedric Shock