[GRASS5] GRASS 5.7.0 beta1

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Jun 3 18:32:23 EDT 2004

On Jun 3, 2004, at 1:44 AM, grass5-request at grass.itc.it wrote:

> Tcltkgrass: (looks really nice; some things need to be greyed out?)

Thanks. Most of this is either a) dealt with in the most recent version
of tcltkgrass for GRASS 5.7 or b) related to scripts that have not yet
found their way into the CVS. Should I resubmit the latter?

I am hoping to get set up for CVS access very soon so that I can make
updates more quickly.

> [Import|Export] -> Vector -> Import/Export old GRASS vector format
> v.convert is import only, are there plans to change that, or is
> 'v.out.ascii -o' the official way?

I believe Radim answered this. I guess it stays this way for now at
least.

> Export -> Raster -> GRASS ASCII:
> as this does Surfer & Modflow formats as well, maybe just
> "Export->ASCII"?

I can do this. Is there some other kind of descriptive modifier that
ought to be added?

> Display -> Display Manager
> maybe that should read "[Start|Launch] Display Manager"
>
> Display -> NVIZ visualization tool
> maybe that should real "[Start|Launch] NVIZ visualization"
> (tool is redundant, or at least not the right word..)

These were copied from the original GRASS 5.0.x menus. This seems a
good moment to improve them. I'll do something like this.

> Generic Menu items: is it possible to give the module name (eg d.mon)
> in
> a hint box upon mouseover?

I can do that. It will take a bit of time, but is a good idea.

> Help -> Authors?
> Maybe a flag from g.version?

I don't understand this. Is there an authors 'function' to call here?
If not, perhaps it can be added to the 'about GRASS' file for display.
Suggestions?

I can send a diffs file of these changes or wait and upload them myself
when CVS access is set up. Your (plural) preference.

Michael
Michael Barton, Professor & Curator
School of Human Origins, Cultures, & Societies
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA

voice: 480-965-6262; fax: 480-965-7671