[GRASS5] discussion on how to package binaries

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sun Mar 7 13:05:13 EST 2004

Wow! This is a lot of work to get these binaries. Your efforts should
be VERY much appreciated by the Mac community. Now that you've worked
this out, should this somehow be added to the source compiling
directions?

I think the idea you suggest of making a TclTk tarball and posting it
makes sense and is consistent with the WinGRASS site. In both cases the
'native' Tcl installations (MacOSX Aqua and Cygwin) don't yet work with
GRASS. In the longer run, it probably makes sense to have GRASS run
with the native versions of TclTk or move away from it altogether. In
the former case, I've seen a number of discussion about this, and it
seems desirable, but technically difficult--especially for NVIZ. In the
latter case, I've not yet seen discussion of a viable alternative for
the GRASS cooperative development environment.

With regards  to security, Cygwin apparently lets anyone (at least
anyone with admin permissions) installl to /usr/local or any other
directory. On Mac's, you need admin privileges to install to
/Applications, but not root permissions. Root IS required for most
critical system files.

Michael Barton

C. Michael Barton, Professor
Department of Anthropology