[GRASS5] a wish for v.colors

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Fri May 14 03:27:43 EDT 2004

On Thursday 13 May 2004 17:35, Michael Barton wrote:
> The discussion of changes to r.colors reminded me that I've always
> wished there was a similar kind of utility for vectors. It is easier to
> set colors by category/attribute in GRASS 5.7, but it still is
> considerably more complicated than for raster maps and still requires
> (AFAICT) figuring out rgb triplets (unless of course you only want to
> set all features to the same color). I don't know how hard it would be
> to do, but something for vectors that had the functionality of r.colors
> would be nice.

I would preferer not to mix data and their graphical representation
for vectors. Required color for a vector often changes, as well as number
of classes etc. Non of other GISes store the color with vectors, AFAIK.

There is quite easy semi-automatic way to assign
symbology to attributes in QGIS:
http://mpa.itc.it/radim/qgis/symbol1.png
http://mpa.itc.it/radim/qgis/symbol2.png
http://mpa.itc.it/radim/qgis/symbol3.png