[GRASS5] libz error compiling qgis

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri May 14 18:57:49 EDT 2004

I am trying to compile QGIS on my Mac (OSX 10.3.3) to get some idea of
where GRASS is heading. There is no assurance that it will compile on a
Mac OSX 10.3.3--but there is no indication yet that it won't.

After a bit of futzing, my ./configure went well. But when I tried to
do a make, it died with the following error.

ld: /usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.a(fe-secure.o) illegal reference to
symbol: _SSL_connect defined in indirectly referenced dynamic library
/usr/lib/libssl.0.9.7.dylib
ld: /usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.a(fe-secure.o) illegal reference to
symbol: _BIO_free defined in indirectly referenced dynamic library
/usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.7.dylib
ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _adler32
/usr/lib/libz.1.1.3.dylib(adler32.o) definition of _adler32
/usr/lib/libz.dylib(adler32.o) definition of _adler32
ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _crc32
/usr/lib/libz.1.1.3.dylib(crc32.o) definition of _crc32
/usr/lib/libz.dylib(crc32.o) definition of _crc32
ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _get_crc_table
/usr/lib/libz.1.1.3.dylib(crc32.o) definition of _get_crc_table
/usr/lib/libz.dylib(crc32.o) definition of _get_crc_table
make[4]: *** [qgis] Error 1
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

I have been able to find references to others having problems with
libz, but no one seems to indicate what program this library comes
with. I thought before bugging the qGIS people, I'd see if any of you
have some idea about this.

Michael Barton
Michael Barton, Professor & Curator
School of Human Origins, Cultures, & Societies
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA

voice: 480-965-6262; fax: 480-965-7671